Making your own furniture does not have to be intimidating if you have solid tutorials and a few bright ideas. We have scoured the internet to bring you some of the most attractive DIY pieces that are pocket-friendly, as well.
Provided that you are reasonably handy, you can churn out these quirky pieces of furniture that compliment your decor to make a definitive style statement!
- Bookcase Using an Old Door
Recycling is the key here. You can utilise an old unused wooden door from your garage, or even purchase one at a flea market.
- Cut the door into half.
- Prepare pieces for the shelf frames.
- Cut pieces for stretchers at the front and the back. Fasten them to the front and the back.
- Cut pieces for the shelves. Secure them to the frame.
- Cut the piece for the top of the shelf and secure it.
- Cut the back of the shelf and paint it.
- Paint the entire frame of the bookshelf.
- Attach the back to the frame.
Detailed instructions and measurements for this project can be found here.
- Ottoman from Drawer
Convert a lonely drawer into a stylish footrest or ottoman. How innovative is that?!
- If you do not own an old drawer, you can pick one up at a thrift store.
- Cut out four sturdy legs from wood.
- Glue and screw them to the bottom of the drawer.
- Make the top of the ottoman from plywood.
- Attach the top to the drawer.
- Place a fabric cushion on the top and glue together.
- Paint as needed.
If you want to see the final look of the ottoman, check this out.
- Banquette Seating
If your dining table is in a nook, you must have found it difficult to get into the seats against the wall. You can convert the placement of the table into an asset by creating a banquette bench against the wall.
- Build a sturdy frame and screw it to the walls.
- Cover the frame with plywood to create a panel look.
- Cut thick plywood for the top and nail it to the frame.
- Caulk and paint the bench. Varnish if needed.
- Add cushions and throw pillows for added comfort.
See step-by-step pictures and the final product here.
- Cozy Reading Nook
This is the ideal way to use up corner spaces and is easily made using two wooden pallets.
- Choose a sturdy square-shaped pallet with slats close to one another.
- Cut the pallet along the diagonal.
- Reinforce the front edge with additional pieces of wood, and nail together.
- At the bottom of the platform, attach squares of wood to the corners so that the chair is raised above the ground.
- Sand down all the wood from the top and bottom.
- Make the back of the chair using the other diagonal of the pallet.
- Attach to the back of the platform and reinforce the top of the slats with additional wood.
- Paint the chair.
You can find an excellent tutorial for this project here.
- Suitcase Side Table
If you have a vintage suitcase and a wooden table that serve no practical purpose, then this is just the right project for you. Transform that suitcase into an attractive side table and let the compliments flow in!
- Remove the legs from the table.
- Glue and nail each leg to a sturdy block of wood.
- Place the legs at the bottom of the suitcase and drill through.
- Screw the legs to the suitcase.
Detailed instructions can be seen here.
Have fun making these amazing DIY furniture, and write us a note in the comments section below if you do!
LSI Keywords – Do-It-Yourself Furniture, Making your own furniture, few bright ideas, attractive DIY pieces, Bookcase, Ottoman, stylish footrest, Banquette Seating, Reading Nook, wooden pallets, Side Table, DIY furniture